Coughlin & Gerhart, LLP
Main Navigation

Hotel faces premises liability suit after birthday dinner

When people in New York and other states go to celebrate birthdays in hotels or restaurants, the last thing they expect would likely be to land up in a hospital. A woman in another state who went out to enjoy a birthday dinner claims the celebration turned into a nightmare when she drank water that contained liquid nitrogen. The hotel where this incident happened is now facing a premises liability lawsuit.

Court documents indicate that the plaintiff claims a server in the hotel's restaurant poured liquid nitrogen into her glass of water. She alleges the waiter used the substance when serving dessert to guests at another table. Her friend commented on the effect the liquid nitrogen created, and the waiter poured some of the colorless, odorless liquid into her glass of water.

The woman asserts that when she drank from her glass, she immediately experienced an intense explosion-like feeling in her chest. Paramedics rushed her to a hospital, where she remained in ICU for several days. She apparently had several surgical procedures as a result, including the removal of her gall bladder along with portions of her stomach where the nitrogen caused severe damage. She says the incident caused her to lose a significant amount of weight and left her with lifelong digestive problems.

No one should suffer life-changing injuries when going out for dinner at a restaurant. Anyone in New York who has to deal with similar circumstances might have questions about his or her legal options. An experienced personal injury attorney can provide the necessary support and guidance throughout ensuing legal proceedings. A successfully navigated premises liability lawsuit can yield a monetary judgment to cover economic and noneconomic damages.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

© 2019 by Coughlin & Gerhart, LLP All rights reserved. Attorney advertising. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.