Richard B. Long
Mr. Long was a Partner in the firm from 1961 to 2001, and is currently Of Counsel. He headed the firm’s Litigation Department for 26 years and has concentrated for over 57 years in civil litigation at the trial level, primarily in State Supreme Court, Federal Court, and at the Appellate level in the Appellate Division, Third Department and the Court of Appeals. Mr. Long’s trial experience has encompassed many areas of civil law including products liability, environmental law, arbitration, commercial law, Workers’ Compensation, labor law, libel and personal injury litigation including medical malpractice and automobile liability. He served as a Master Arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association for over 20 years.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Member, Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
Publications & Presentations
- Co-Author of Preparing For and Trying the Civil Lawsuit, (1st – 4th eds.), published by the New York State Bar Association.
- Author of numerous articles featured in the New York State Bar Association Journal.
- Long has lectured extensively on the subject of litigation.
Past Employment Experience
- Master Arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association (20+ years)
- Long has served as Chair of the Trial Lawyers Section of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA).
- Member, Executive Committee of the Trial Lawyers Section of the NYSBA.
- Member, Executive Committee of the Senior Lawyers Section of the NYSBA.
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Chair of New York’s Uniform State Laws Commission, 1994 – Present
- Commissioner on Uniform State Laws for New York State, 1981 – Present
- Advisory Committee on Civil Practice of the Office of Court Administration (Member: 1977 – Present)
- Former Chair of the Sixth Judicial District, Independent Judicial Election Qualification Commission (6 years)
- New York State Continuing Legal Education Committee (Former Member)
- Trustee of Syracuse University (20+ years)
- Member of the Board of Visitors of the Syracuse University Law School
- New York, 1957
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York, 1957
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1974
Cornell Law School
- J.D., 1957
- A.B., 1953
- New York Advisory Committee (Member, Civil Practice, 1977)
- American Arbitration Association (Member of Panel, Master Arbitrator)
- Broome County Bar Association (Member (President, 1979-1980))
- Trustee, Syracuse University, 1977
- Chairman, Audit Committee, Syracuse University (1986 – 1988)
- Member, Board of Visitors, Syracuse Law School, 1978