Thomas H. Bouman
Mr. Bouman joined Coughlin & Gerhart, LLP, in 2017 as an associate in the Litigation Practice Group. He received a B.A. in Writing Seminars with general and departmental honors from Johns Hopkins University in 2001, an M.F.A from Columbia University in 2005, and a J.D. from The Dickinson School of Law at the Pennsylvania State University in 2017. Tom’s practice is concentrated in civil litigation, with a focus on representing plaintiffs in personal injury matters., various types of commercial litigation, and litigated estates. Tom also practices in trusts and estates, elder law, and guardianships.
Tom is a member of the Broome County Bar Association and Tompkins County Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in New York State and the United States District Court, Northern District of New York. While studying at The Dickinson School of Law, he was a student editor of the international legal history journal Jus Gentium and a legal extern at the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Before starting his legal career, Tom worked as a book editor focusing on fiction, history, current events, and memoir. He is an award-winning mystery novelist. Tom is a board member of to two non-profit organizations: Golden Opportunity, which provides tutoring to Ithaca City School District students in need, and Community Arts Partnership, which supports the arts in Tompkins County. Tom enjoys the outdoors, biking, sailing, and music.
Honors & Awards
- 2014 Los Angeles Times Book Prize in the Mystery/Thriller category, Dry Bones
in the Valley.
- 2015 Edgar Award for Best First Novel, Dry Bones in the Valley.
Publications & Presentations
- Tom Bouman is the acclaimed author of three novels: Dry Bones in the Valley (2014), Fateful Mornings (2017), and The Bramble and the Rose (2020).
- New York, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
The Dickinson School of
Law at the Pennsylvania
- J.D., 2017
- M.F.A. (Creative Writing,
Fiction Concentration), 2005
Johns Hopkins University
- B.A. (Writing Seminars), 2001
- Honors: General &
Departmental Honors; Phi
- New York State Bar Association (Member, 2018 – Present)
- Broome County Bar Association (Member, 2018 – Present)