Alan J. Pope
Mr. Pope has a Civil Engineering degree from Clarkson University, and then went to Albany Law School and graduated in 1979. For several years he worked on a number of different construction projects, including bridges, roads, a high rise building and a 765 KV Powerline. Mr. Pope’s several years of working on construction projects, combined with his Civil Engineering degree, has given him an advantage as a construction attorney and construction litigator.
Over Mr. Pope’s career, his litigation has taken him throughout the United States, including New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Florida, Texas, Illinois, Colorado and South Carolina. Mr. Pope’s focus has been construction law and commercial law. At least locally, he believes he has tried more jury trials to verdict than any other civil litigator, all of which have been construction or commercial cases. Mr. Pope has had numerous non-jury trials and construction arbitrations. He has argued over 60 appeals in the Appellate Division and Second Circuit Court of Appeals, which is more than any other civil litigator in the Southern Tier. Of course, expertise in litigation avoidance is as important as litigation experience, and much of his present work involves negotiating contracts and guiding clients to avoid litigation, which, of course, is the object or goal of all businesses. Mr. Pope is also the Town Attorney for the Town of Union, Town of Binghamton and Town of Colesville. In that capacity, he handles everything from advice to Boards, to preparation of contracts, to union negotiations, to employee matters.
Over the years, Mr. Pope has had the honor to have been appointed to some very prestigious positions. He is a current Member of New York State Judicial Hearing Officer Selection Committee (appointment by Appellate Division), a current Member of United States District Court, Northern District of New York Attorney Discipline Panel, a former Member of New York State Committee on Professional Standards (appointment by Appellate Division), a former Commissioner of the New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct (two terms). He served as a Trustee on the Federal Bar Association of the Northern District of New York for two terms. He also served on the Board of Directors of Broome County Bar Association for two terms.
Over the years Mr. Pope has been a Faculty Speaker, including for a seminar on 2018 Construction Law Issues, for a Broome County CLE 2018 (Appellate Practice-Chair), for Ethics CLEs for the years 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, for a 2009 CLE on Limited Liability Companies, for a 2010 CLE on Municipal Law, and for a number of years he was a CLE speaker on Construction Lien & Bond Law in New York (1997-2002).
Honors & Awards
- Listed, Upstate New York Super Lawyers, 2016-Present.
- Ted Sommer Trial Advocacy Award, 2017
Publications & Presentations
- Construction Law Issues (Presenter, Broome County Bar Association CLE)
- Ethics (Presenter, Broome County Bar Association CLE)
- Limited Liability Companies (Presenter, Broome County Bar Association CLE)
- Municipal Law (Presenter, Broome County Bar Association CLE)
- Construction Lien & Bond Law (Presenter, New York State Bar Association CLE)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
Albany Law School
- J.D., 1979
- B.S. (Civil Engineering), 1976
- Broome County Bar Association (Board of Directors, 1995 – 1998)
- Federal Bar Association of the Northern District of New York (Trustee, 2008 – 2014)
- New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct (Commissioner, 2000 – 2008)
- New York State Committee of Professional Standards (Member, 2010 – 2016)
- New York State Judicial Hearing Officer Selection Committee (Member, 2016 – Present)
- Northern District of New York Attorney Discipline Panel (Member, 2012 – Present)
- United States District Court (Member, 1980 – Present)