Receptionist/Legal Secretary – Trusts & Estates, Real Estate, & Litigation
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Performs all receptionist functions relating to receiving calls, greeting clients, vendors, and guests. Executes a variety of secretarial duties for office attorney(s). Maintains positive contact with clients, attorneys, and staff, and observes confidentiality of client matters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives calls, faxes, records messages, and other correspondence and communicates information to appropriate attorney(s) and/or staff.
- Meets and greets clients and visitors to the law office, receives and records deliveries to the firm, and routes to the proper recipient.
- Operates a computer, word processor (Microsoft Word & Outlook) to prepare correspondence, memoranda, miscellaneous legal documents from written and oral drafts and processes mailings.
- Reads, sorts, and dates incoming mail. Ensures that outgoing mail is delivered timely.
- Maintains attorney(s) calendar, schedules appointments, and maintains deadline reminder systems.
- Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks, and maintains client files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files and prepares files to be closed.
- Handles potential client calls and conducts intakes.
- Processes invoices/bills to include reviewing, editing and submitting for payment.
- Performs any additional office secretarial duties assigned by lead office attorney or human resources.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) of routine law office correspondence and legal case matters.
- Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents; maintain records and filing systems.
- Must possess a strong attention to detail, ability to remain organized and prioritize numerous tasks to complete them under time constraints.
- Maintain an understanding of the attorney(s) files to answer questions and requests for information.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff to provide information verbally or in writing with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Ability to handle multiple telephone calls and visitors, lift small delivery packages, operate telephone and other office equipment.
Please express interest with cover letter and resume to:
Kip Burlew, Human Resources Director
Coughlin & Gerhart, LLP
PO Box 2039
Binghamton, NY 13902-2039
Email Address: [email protected]