Paralegal – Bainbridge Office
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
- Communicates effectively with clients, potential clients, attorneys, office personnel, court personnel, financial institutions, insurance companies, accountants, government agencies, etc.
- Reviews Wills, Trust Agreements, financial statements and data, tax returns.
- Prepares court forms for estate and trust administration, guardianships, etc.
- Prepares correspondence, accountings, estate and fiduciary income tax returns, asset transfer documents.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews estate planning documents, i.e. Wills, Trusts, etc., to effectively determine the course of action required to administer estates and trusts.
- Communicates effectively with court personnel, financial institutions, insurance companies, accountants, debt collectors and government agencies to ensure that all matters of decedent’s estate are addressed.
- Prepares estate and fiduciary income tax returns.
- Prepares and supervises Medicaid applications for clients applying for nursing home and community Medicaid coverage.
- Prepares documents for Guardianship proceedings to include guardianship appointments and termination, prepares and files Guardianship Annual Reports as required to be filed with the Court.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, and SKILLS:
- Knowledge of legal principles and practices.
- Ability to read and comply with court rules.
- Organize, prioritize and complete numerous tasks under strict time constraints.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail.
- Must possess a strong mathematical background to perform complex computations and have knowledge of detailed accounting principles.
- Must possess excellent verbal and writing skills.
- Ability to learn and utilize a variety of software programs (i.e. Prolaw, Microsoft Office; ProSystems FX Tax, Hot Docs, T-Dec, Excel)
- Ability to work independently on files from commencement to conclusion.
- General knowledge of estate planning, trusts and estates law procedures.
- Must be resourceful to obtain pertinent information.
- Ability to work in a multi-state court environment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High School degree required; AAS degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in practice.
CERTIFICATES, LICENCES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Paralegal certification preferred
- Notary Public license preferred
Please express interest with cover letter and resume to:
Kip Burlew, Human Resources Director
Coughlin & Gerhart, LLP
PO Box 2039
Binghamton, NY 13902-2039
Email Address: [email protected]