Receptionist – Ithaca, NY
General Statement of Duties:
Performs all receptionist functions relating to receiving calls, greeting clients, vendors, and guests. Executes a variety of secretarial duties for office attorney(s). Maintains positive contact with clients, attorneys, and staff, and observes confidentiality of client matters. We are looking for someone to work Full or Part time.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives calls, faxes, records messages, and other correspondence and communicates information to appropriate attorney(s) and/or staff.
- Meets and greets clients and visitors to the law office, receives and records deliveries to the firm, and routes to the proper recipient.
- Operates a computer, word processor (Microsoft Word & Outlook) to prepare correspondence, memoranda, miscellaneous legal documents from written and oral drafts and processes mailings.
- Reads, sorts, and dates incoming mail. Ensures that outgoing mail is delivered timely.
- Maintains attorney(s) calendar, schedules appointments, and maintains deadline reminder systems.
- Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks, and maintains client files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files and prepares files to be closed.
- Handles potential client calls and conducts intakes.
- Processes invoices/bills to include reviewing, editing and submitting for payment.
- Performs any additional duties such as office errands and any other secretarial tasks assigned by lead office attorney or human resources.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) of routine law office correspondence and legal case matters.
- Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents; maintain records and filing systems.
- Must possess a strong attention to detail, ability to remain organized and prioritize numerous tasks to complete them under time constraints.
- Maintain an understanding of the attorney(s) files to answer questions and requests for information.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff to provide information verbally or in writing with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Ability to handle multiple telephone calls and visitors, lift small delivery packages, operate telephone and other office equipment.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma required; AAS degree preferred.
- Experience in a legal setting preferred.
Legal Secretaries are encouraged to apply, and would be compensated accordingly.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Notary Public License preferred
Coughlin & Gerhart provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.