Part-Time Support Clerk- Ithaca, NY
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Assist in performing various administrative/clerical tasks to support the firm’s multiple practice groups. Clerical responsibilities will range from filing, closing files, answering phones, special projects, maintaining medical records, running office errands, etc. This position requires the ability to work diligently to help maintain smooth office operations based on established policies and procedures. This position requires flexibility with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and dynamic workplace, strong work ethic, and the ability to easily understand and perform a variety of clerical duties along with familiarity with the use of office equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain client files and records within the firm’s Case Management System so they remain updated and easily accessible. Ensure proper scanning of client files, proper destruction of documents at the end of required retention period, proper storage of certain original paper documents, etc. (Refer to office Closing File Procedures on detailed instructions of the essential functions of closing files.)
- Maintain detailed status reports of closed files.
- Assist staff and attorneys with clerical related tasks (i.e. organization of files, mailings, medical records, library filing, data entry, etc.).
- Ability to cover for reception area as needed (i.e. receive and record oral information from telephone callers or in person, communicate to attorneys and staff, operate multi-line telephone console, direct telephone calls and faxes appropriately, meet and greet clients/visitors, along with other duties within the realm of the receptionist position).
- Help with overall organization of office (i.e. supply room, file rooms, conference rooms, etc.).
- Research, obtain, and communicate information when directed.
- Complete clerical duties such as making copies, scanning, running office errands, coordinate appointments, including all correspondence and necessary logistics.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, and SKILLS:
- Ability to read and understand written sentences and paragraphs in written documents; communicate effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience; ability to proofread and perform editing for format, contextual, grammatical, typographical and spelling errors of routine law office correspondence and legal case matters.
- Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations of forms and documents; maintain records and filing systems at a level normally acquired through completion of high school or equivalent.
- Ability to assemble files and file information utilizing alphabetical and numerical filing guidelines.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Ability to operate office equipment including personal computer, photocopier and fax machines.
- Ability to work with variety of Excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to retrieve and distribute files, written documents, or offices supplies weighing up to 12 pounds and ability to retrieve and replace objects from shelves up to 8 feet high.
- Ability to multi-task and quickly switch from one project to another due to emergency situations or attorneys’ requests.
- Ability to work as a team with attorneys and staff.
- Ability to learn and utilize a variety of software programs.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate in person, by email, and telephone. Follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of attorneys and staff and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High School degree required