Part Time-Legal Secretary – Bainbridge, NY
General Statement of Duties:
Performs a variety of secretarial duties for attorney(s) to whom assigned according to established policies and procedures. Maintains positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff and observes confidentiality of client matters. This job is out of our Bainbridge NY Location.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential functions are primarily job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation made by the employer.
- Prepares correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts; drafts standard correspondence and other documents.
- Scanning and electronic service of documents to outside parties prior to preparing for service via regular mail.
- Process third-party and vendor invoices for payment.
- Maintain detailed status reports on all active files and be able to provide information upon request.
- Reads, sorts, dates and scans all incoming and outgoing mail for attorneys. Ensures outgoing mail is sent timely and, when necessary, uses express delivery services, following up on delivery.
- Establishes and maintains calendars (both hard copy and electronic) and deadline reminder systems, schedules and arranges meetings and conferences, notifying all parties; coordinate travel arrangements; prepare itineraries and maintain travel records.
- Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks and maintains all client and general files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files.
- Perform open file procedures, such as entering contact information for parties, attorneys and insurance companies into Prolaw, prepare drafts of any documents required at the time of opening, such as engagement letters, retainer agreements, contracts, real estate letters, etc.
- Closing files following all office procedures, including preparing file for closing by cleaning out file and scanning any documents not yet scanned into Prolaw, running WIP from Orion, pulling any original materials to be returned to client and preparing closing cover sheet for submission to the Records Department.
- Receives clients and visitors, maintains good public relations with clients, and observes confidentiality of attorney/client relationship.
- Works closely with administrative support staff; ensures that attorney billable time is processed in a timely manner.
- Processes attorney invoices by proof-reading and editing as necessary, preparing cover letters and detailed vouchers, as needed.
- Performs legal assistant/paralegal duties as requested.
- Establishes and revises forms, procedures, formats and standards for office correspondence.
- Training/mentoring of other staff members as needed.
- Filing of all documents related to client files (both electronic and hard copies).
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Ability to proofread and edit (e.g. punctuation, grammar, spelling) routine law office correspondence and legal case matters. Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents; maintain records and filing systems at a level normally acquired through completion of high school or equivalent.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including basic knowledge of legal terminology.
- Ability to follow complex instructions and guidelines in order to make decisions and take necessary actions.
- Ability to maintain composure during stressful situations occurring as a result of workloads and/or deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to use diplomacy and discretion in giving out information and in referring and directing callers and visitors.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents
- Ability to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work as a team with attorneys and staff.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Interpersonal skills necessary.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma required; AAS degree preferred