Paralegal Position- Bainbridge, NY
Support Real Estate attorneys with all residential/bank closing transactions. This role would be based out of our Bainbridge NY office.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review purchase/sale contract and/or loan commitment letter; assess matter and formulate plan of documentation requirements needed to proceed to closing;
- Draft necessary documents for specific transaction; compile necessary financial documents; coordinate closing with attorneys, lender and clients; finalize closing figures;
- Review of Abstracts of Title, property information and mapping, including zoning, taxes;
- Title searches at various County Clerk’s Offices; assess results and attend to resolution of open title issues;
- Preparation of title insurance commitments/policies for both lenders and owners;
- Annual yearly follow up on post-closing issues (lien releases, mortgage satisfactions) and completion of final title insurance policies for all transactions which closed during the prior year;
- Opening files including running conflict searches, pulling tax/tax map information, entering file information into Soft Pro;
- Title searching for Abstract Continuations, preparation of transfer documents, preparation of statements of sale and lender closing disclosures, ordering tax certificates and water readings, preparation of title insurance commitments for lenders, coordination of closing among all parties, disbursing mortgage funds at closing, shipping closing packages to lenders, making mortgage payoffs, following up on all post-closing items, closing files; Correspondence and communication with clients, realtors, attorneys and lenders; Submit all documents for DMV filings/certificates of title;
- 1099 filings at the end of each year for all RE files in all offices;
- Creation/Maintenance of spreadsheet for title entries; communicate with vendor regarding any title insurance issues, sending payments out to vendor on a weekly basis;
- Training assistance with new employees; and
- Maintain escrow files for tax and septic escrows; making all necessary tax payments in a timely manner.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with clients, whose knowledge of their transaction is at different levels of understanding;
- Able to work with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Soft Pro (or comparable program), Orion(or comparable program), title wave(or comparable program);
- Ability to create/balance checklists and cut checks to disburse mortgage funds;
- Ability to prepare transfer documents, statements of sale and lender closing disclosures including tax adjustments, ability to do title searching and continue Abstracts of Title;
- Ability to prepare title insurance commitments;
- Familiarity with DMV titles;
- Ability to prepare construction loan documents;
- Ability to create good working relationships with people both within and outside the office;
- Ability to think outside the box and apply problem-solving skills calmly;
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize shifting deadlines;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; and
- Ability to read and interpret organizational documents.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma required; AAS degree preferred.
- Notary Public License preferred
- Paralegal certificate preferred