Public Law Attorney
Coughlin & Gerhart, LLP is seeking a full-time NYS admitted Attorney in Public Law.
Coughlin & Gerhart proudly dates back to the 1890s has grown to include seven offices in New York and Pennsylvania. As we continue to grow, we remain committed to our founding principles as a law firm focused upon client relationships and our dedication to fully meeting the needs of our individual, business, and municipal clients.
We offer numerous highly experienced and skilled attorneys, diverse practice areas, and a core belief that everyone who seeks the services of a lawyer deserves to be treated as a priority, from the time they meet with us in an initial consultation to when their legal matter is resolved.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drafting and reviewing local laws, resolutions, policies and procedures, and contracts.
- Representing municipal clients at board meetings, including town, village, city, fire district and school district meetings.
- Interpretation and advice on municipal law, education law, SEQR, code enforcement, land use, and zoning,
- Must be skillful in managing situations requiring diplomacy, fairness, firmness and sound judgement.
- Defending municipal clients in litigation and claims, including research and drafting legal documents in Article 78 proceedings.
- Negotiate/draft/review of contracts, leases, bid documents, easements, indemnification agreements, inter local agreements, and other documents.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school
- License to practice law
- Analytical and writing skills
Coughlin & Gerhart provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please express interest with cover letter and resume to:
Christan Surdey, Human Resources Specialist
Coughlin & Gerhart, LLP PO Box 2039
Binghamton, NY 13902-2039
Email Address: [email protected]