Labor & Employment Associate Attorney
Coughlin & Gerhart, LLP (“C&G”) is seeking a full-time NYS admitted Associate Attorney with at least 3-5 years of experience in Labor & Employment (“L&E”) for our Binghamton, NY office.
C&G proudly dates back to the 1890s has grown to include several offices in New York and Pennsylvania. C&G’s L&E practice is statewide with hundreds of municipal clients located between Long Island and Buffalo. As we continue to grow, we remain committed to our founding principles as a law firm focused upon client relationships and our dedication to fully meeting the needs of our individual, business, and municipal clients.
We offer numerous highly experienced and skilled attorneys, diverse practice areas, and a core belief that everyone who seeks the services of a lawyer deserves to be treated as a priority, from the time they meet with us in an initial consultation to when their legal matter is resolved.
- Advise and counsel clients on a wide array of L&E issues; research and analyze relevant L&E law and draft correspondence, pleadings, memoranda, policies and contracts; draft employee handbooks and policies
- Defend employers in state and federal courts on a wide array of L&E matters, including wage & hour, restrictive covenant, discrimination, retaliation, whistleblower and employment tort claims
- Represent employers in administrative hearing proceedings and grievance arbitrations on employee discipline, GML 207 disability claims and collective bargaining agreement disputes
- Defend municipal determinations in Article 78 proceedings; move to stay arbitration and vacate or confirm arbitration awards.
- Represent employers in collective bargaining negotiations, mediation, interest arbitration proceedings before PERB and unfair labor/improper practice proceedings before the NLRB and PERB
- Train clients’ supervisors and employees on HR compliance; present at seminars and webinars on L&E matters; and draft L&E newsletter articles
Skills and Educational Requirements:
- Current NY Bar admission
- Juris Doctorate degree from accredited law school
- 3-5 years of experience, employment and/or municipal law background strongly preferred
- Experience with collective bargaining agreements wage and hour laws, discrimination and retaliation claims (EEOC and NYSHRD) and eave laws (FMLA and PFL) highly desired
- Ability to multitask, meet deadlines and promptly respond to client’s needs
- Strong organizational, time management, and project management skills
- Committed to legal profession and teamwork approach
- Desire to develop and further legal skills
- Strong analytical, research and writing skills
- Provides sound judgment and attention to detail
- Ability to meet and exceed minimum billable hour expectations
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to drive to courts, arbitrations and bargaining sessions
Please express interest with cover letter and resume to:
Kip Burlew, Human Resources Director
Coughlin & Gerhart, LLP
PO Box 2039
Binghamton, NY 13902-2039
Email Address: [email protected]