Mr. Colapietro became Of Counsel with Coughlin & Gerhart, LLP in 2016. His practice is limited to the practice of Family and Matrimonial Law.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Colapietro was of counsel with another law firm in the area from 2000-2016 and prior to 2000 was a Partner in the firm of Chernin & Gold.
Active in the Family and Matrimonial Law field for the duration of his career, he was an Adjunct Professor of Law at Cornell Law School from 1970-1999 and has been a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers since 1975. He has served as a Hearing Examiner for the NYS Commission on Judicial Conduct since 1980.
Mr. Colapietro was President of the Broome County Bar Association from 1977-1978. He is the author of numerous articles on Family Law Matters and authored the manual “Law and the Family” in 1989. He was named Law Guardian of the Year by the Broome County Bar Association in 2006.
Honors & Awards
Law Guardian of the Year, 2006, awarded by the Broome County Bar Association.
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America©, 2012 and 2017 – Present.
- New York, 1960
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York, 1962
Cornell University Law School, Ithaca, New York
- J.D., 1960
Hamilton College, Clinton, New York
- B.A., 1957
- Cornell Law Quarterly (Managing Editor, 1959 – 1960)
- U.S. Department of Justice (Trial Attorney, 1960 – 1961)
- Cornell Law School (Adjunct Professor, 1970 – 1999)
- Binghamton University (Adjunct Faculty Member, 1972 – 1989)
- ABA Family Law Newsletter (Assistant Editor, 1972 – 1973)
- New York State Commission on Judicial Misconduct (Hearing Referee, 1981 – Present)
- Broome County Bar Association (Past President, 1977 – 1978; Member)
- New York State Bar Association (Executive Committee, Family Law Section, Member, 1980 – 2000)
- American Bar Associations (Committee on Ethics, Family Law Section, Vice Chairman, 1983)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (1975 – Present)